Friday, December 10, 2010

No Local Store? No Problem

I've been playing Warhammer 40K since around 1992 or so... most marriages don'tlast as long as my love affair with this game. Now, for pretty much that entire period of time that has not been a FLGS around (the Gamers Sanctuary, long may she be remembered) is the only bump in that.

I often hear (Dice Like Thunder) or other podcasts that have great places to play.

I am not one of them.

I have my table, at my house, in my 40K room, which rocks, and I love it.

But it does not allow me to play other people in any semi-regular basis to test out lists against, which is sad. In addition, I tend to have to travel for tournaments, which is difficult when I am married/have my own business/and have bitten the stupid WOW crack again.

Recently we have started some local tournaments. We had one in a garage last month, and next month I will be hosting. We should have about 10 people or so with a little luck. A bunch of us throw toegether with table tops and terrain and have a good time.

Anyone out there in my shoes? What have you done to help the situation when you live this far away?

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I can empathise with your situation, though I must say I think you are a bit more fortunate than me.

    I have 3 kids aged ranging from newborn to 8 years old. The only gaming table I have is my dining table which has to fight with plates and other eating utensils. Though there are gaming stores in Singapore, I have no time to go all the way there as work usually end at 8pm+ for me and I'm usually drained.

    I do try to get my friends over to play short games, but these episodes have been few and far between as time goes by.

    Nowadays, I simply try to play with my 8-year-old son instead, and getting my 3 year-old to roll the dice for me. But I can only afford to play short games. No Apoc level mayhem.

    Don't even get me started on the number of miniatures unpainted and unassembled. Sigh.

    I guess we just have to make do with whatever time permits.

    Wish you luck in hosting the local tourneys.

    Best regards,
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in San Francisco for awhile and had a similar problem. Most of the good places to play were still an hour or more away.

    I can say, that a benefit to living in the (relative) country is space. We have a lot of it, and it isn't a problem at all.

    My heart goes out to you, keep up the good fight!

    ReplyDelete