Thursday, May 6, 2010

Well

Been awhile hasn't it. I'm still between office and house till the end of june, so don't expect a lot of updates.

I've made some fairly significant changes to the list I have been working on.

I was remarking to Andy that he and I both suffer from a damaged mind set when coming to 40K that we need to work on getting out of. We both playes a slot in 1st and 2nd edition when there was only one goal, obliterate your opponent. There weren't any turn limits, so you focused on destroying opponent fire power and thn after that started on other units. In 5th edition with the strong emphasis on objectives on the tablew, we sometimes get carried away and don't go after them. In addition I am still not used to the game ending in the 5th turn.

I will say, I used to play a lot more 'in the moment' then I do now. Trying to get back into practice. Ryan (Andy's brother) doesn't have this problem at all, and constantly maintains a clear idea of what the mission is at all times. It makes him a great clutch player.

Part of the reason that I was having problems with the list was an overabundance of static lascannons. (talk about 4th ed and back mentality) that simply isn't working in 5th edition. I don't believe that Space Marine gun lines are very effective. I had two squads of sterm guard on foot with two lascannons (155 pts each) as two additional scoring units. Their lack of hth, and cost made them completely cost prohibitive to be honest. I've dropped them in exchange picked up two dreadnoughts that I have been loving lately. Completely worth it. I'm still playing on what guns to give them, but fairly pleased.

I played in a tournament that I did fairly well in. I wasn't dissappointed with the list, only in myself for playing it poorly. I played Ryand and barely lost the objectives last weekend when I went to do some hobby work for them.

As usual, need more practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment