Monday, May 24, 2010

Angels of Perdition

So I think my list is about done, and it is time to go into playtest mode. This weekend I tried out a change in the list, and I believe I approve.

A little background.

I bought the marines I am now painting in the summer of 2008, the last time I dropped a couple hundred dollars on models. I was young, excited, and was giddy over the new Dark Angel codex. I was a fool. I got the codex and found it to be unispiring, both from a rules perspective from 4.0 and looking forward. I did however like the models in robes quite a bit.

So I gave a big sigh and moved to california. Last august I believe I finally brought the box out and decided I was going to get the stupid models painted. I hated the Dark Angels codex, but would do my own successor chapter and do 'green marines'.

I painted up a few squads and then moved back to Mississippi, the gleam of light in my eye as I picked up my dice to play with my friends... and promtly got obliterated off the table. I was still great with my tau, but my marines were not that good. I couldn't seem to get them to work, I lost game after game, and everything I did was just a bunch of fail.

But hey, if I'm losing, I'm learning. Slowly, after having played EVERY OPTION in the marine book now (except scout bikers) I started forming a plan.

First, was that I really liked Pedro Kantor. I liked that he made the army Stubborn, I liked that he had the orbital strike and I liked that he gave everyone +1 attack within 12 inches. I thought those were pretty good abilities.

I also loved the scouts in a storm. It was the only unit that I theory-hammered in california that has born out to be a powerful unit. I love it, and wouldn't leave home without it for tournament with marines.

Besides that I tried to make devestator marines work... and pound for bound I just find that they don't. The game is a much more fluid game then it used to be. Thinks are moving from multiple angles, or sometimes are forced to start off the table, therefore the devestator's often lose their ability to shoot. For less points I get the predator, which I like quite a bit.

I have been running with ten terminators (standard type with two cyclones) for quite awhile as counter-assault and shooting platform. With Kantor they proved to be quite shooty, and generally rather effective. My largest problem with them has been their speed. 6inch movement just isn't much. They simply didn't have the movement to make shifts in the game that I like to do. I found often that for all their power they were often out of position and in the wrong place entirey. So this weekend I experimented with a landraider and 5x storm shield terminators.

I hate how much more I like them. I hate running cookie-cutter stuff, but they proved to be a better use of the same points then I had been doing.

Right now at home I have the entire army deployed on the dining room table, as I figure out what else needs to be painted/modeled. It's not much. Here is my list, which is about 95% of what I will run, with some minor changes.

Chapter Master Gabriel Martel (counts as Pedro Kantor)
Codicier Raziel (Librarian with Null Zone and another power)

5x Thunderhammer Terminators with Godhammer Landraider
1 dreadnought (with either a heavy flamer/Multi-melta or another gun)
1 dreadnought (with either a heavy flamer/Multi-melta or another gun)

10 Tac Marines in a rhino w/Multi-melta/meltagun power weapon
10 Tac Marines in a rhino w/missile launcher/meltagun power weapon
5 scouts with power fist/combi-melta/melta bombs

Landspeeder with Multi-melta/heavy flamer
Landspeeder Storm with Heavy Flamer

Predator Destructor with side Las-cannons
Predator Destructor with side Las-cannons
Thunderfire Cannon

I have found that the best thing about the list is that I enjoy playing it, which I love.

I will be moving back into my home in the next 30 days, and hopefully will be getting set up to take photo's... yea!

No comments:

Post a Comment