Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Tables and Tops


Well, as promised, after a long time, here are the pictures of my table that I finished.
I have refinished the concrete floors, built the table from lumber pursuant to (more or less) the plans from TheDrunkenDwarf website. After that I painted the table, then put a polyurithane coat on it to protect it. The tabletop was built out of wall panneling that I picked up (damaged!) from lowes. I think it costs about $16 a sheet normally to find. The table top is removable and another can be put in it's place
I then went back and graveled and added a road with mud on it that can be used either as a road or just as effect.
I wanted a flat table as I do a lot of tournament and game prep, and while I could have built a huge permanant table, I think that is bad for a table you plan to use often. If I ever have the room for a second table (douptful) then Iwill add another. This will be my basic woods/hills/planetstrike table. I may well add a cityfight board one day for fun as well if cityfight is ever re-released.
Under the table is another level that is used for terrain storage. Eventually I will buy some IKEA glass cabnets for all of my finished armies (tau/marines/a few guard).
I've been working on some woods lately, I'll post some stuff this week regarding progress. The forests are actually finished (5 bases worth) and I'm working on large LOS blocking hills now.
About the only problems we have had is that the little gabs in it do catch dice from time to time, not that often, but enough so I need to build a dice rolling place. Lastly... I need a place to put the glorious dead during the game. Let me know your thoughts, and here is one last picture.


2 comments:

  1. That is a nice table! My ole roomate and I put together a top to go over the kitchen table that is similar to the way thats laid out, but i'd kill to have the room right now to make a permanent table. we did get an awesome piece of mossy oak treated ply wood for like 16$ at lowes and it is teh hawtness! its for a deer stand so one side its caught this vinylish camo pattern on it, that just so happens to be water resistent as well. after we cut it to fit, put some 2x4 rails round the edge and caulked the joints, its made for a pretty effective table!

    hope to throw some dice on it someday! awesome stuff son!


    [i can totally call you son too, cause, its your handle and all]

    ReplyDelete