Monday, June 14, 2010

2100 Tournament – Game 1

Jaks in Biloxi,Mississippi wasn't participating in 'ardboyz round 2, which was fine for me as it seems to have been a bit of a farce this year. At any rate, they held a tournament on the 13th of this month that I participated in. I will be posting the Battle Reports for them throughout the week. I played the following list at the tournament, which is fairly close to what I plan on taking to BoLS Con shortly. I had the privilege to play against two skilled and good natured opponents that I thought both tested me in different ways. I love a tough game. They may read this blog, so I hope they e-mail me, as I would like to post their lists and their names up. I am horrible with names.

Here is the list that I was running

2100 Pts - Space Marines Roster - Angels of Perdition

Grand Master Gabriel Martel (1#, 175 pts)

1 Chapter Master Pedro Kantor @ 175 pts (Unit Type: Infantry; Krak Grenades; Iron Halo; Power Armour; Dorn's Arrow; Power Fist; And They Shall Know No Fear; Chapter Tactics; Combat Tactics; Hold the Line; Independent Character; Inspiring Presence; Orbital Bombardment)

Elite: Terminator Squad (10#, 480 pts) (The First)

9 Terminator Squad @ 480 pts (Unit Type: Infantry; Power Fist x5; Storm Bolter x9; Chain Fist x4; Cyclone Missile Launcher; Cyclone Missile Launcher; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads; Combat Tactics)

1 Sergeant (Unit Type: Infantry; Power Sword; Storm Bolter; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads; Combat Tactics)

Elite: Dreadnought (1#, 115 pts) (Brother Dreadnought Exetur)

1 Dreadnought @ 115 pts (Unit Type: Vehicle (Walker); Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Dreadnought CCW; Storm Bolter; Twin Linked Autocannon)

Elite: Dreadnought (1#, 115 pts)(Brother Dreadnought Hamiel)

1 Dreadnought @ 115 pts (Unit Type: Vehicle (Walker); Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Dreadnought CCW; Multi-Melta; Heavy Flamer)

Troops: Tactical Squad (11#, 225 pts) (Squad Maltheas)

9 Tactical Squad @ 225 pts (Unit Type: Infantry; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Bolt Pistol x9; Bolter x7; Meltagun; Missile Launcher; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads; Combat Tactics; Rhino)

1 Sergeant (Unit Type: Infantry; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Bolt Pistol; Power Weapon x1; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads; Combat Tactics)

1 Rhino (Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank); Transport Capacity: 10 models; Access Points: 3; Fire Points: 1; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Storm Bolter; Repair)

Troops: Tactical Squad (11#, 235 pts) (Squad Josiah)

9 Tactical Squad @ 235 pts (Unit Type: Infantry; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Bolt Pistol x9; Bolter x7; Meltagun; Lascannon; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads; Combat Tactics; Rhino)

1 Sergeant (Unit Type: Infantry; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Bolt Pistol; Power Weapon x1; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads; Combat Tactics)

1 Rhino (Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank); Transport Capacity: 10 models; Access Points: 3; Fire Points: 1; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Storm Bolter; Repair)

Troops: Scout Squad (5#, 115 pts) (Squad Morveng)

4 Scout Squad @ 115 pts (Unit Type: Infantry; Krak Grenades; Scout Armour; Bolt Pistol x4; Bolter x4; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads; Combat Tactics; Infiltrate; Move Through Cover; Scouts)

1 Sergeant (Unit Type: Infantry; Krak Grenades; Scout Armour; Melta Bombs; Combi-Meltagun x1; Power Fist x1; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads; Combat Tactics; Infiltrate; Move Through Cover; Scouts)

Fast Attack: Land Speeder Storm (1#, 60 pts) (Landspeeder Morveng)

1 Land Speeder Storm @ 60 pts (Unit Type: Vehicle (Open-topped); Unit Type: Vehicle (Skimmer, Fast); Transport Capacity: 5 models; Cerberus Launcher; Jamming Beacon; Heavy Flamer; Deep Strike; Scouts)

Fast Attack: Land Speeder Squadron (1#, 70 pts) (LS 01)

1 Land Speeder Squadron @ 70 pts (Unit Type: Vehicle (Skimmer, Fast); Multi-Melta x1; Heavy Flamer x1; Deep Strike)

Fast Attack: Land Speeder Squadron (1#, 70 pts) (LS 02)

1 Land Speeder Squadron @ 70 pts (Unit Type: Vehicle (Skimmer, Fast); Multi-Melta x1; Heavy Flamer x1; Deep Strike)


Heavy Support: Predator (1#, 120 pts) (Battle Tank Nefarium)

1 Predator @ 120 pts (Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank); Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Autocannon; Lascannon (each side))

Heavy Support: Predator (1#, 120 pts) (Battle Tank Exeat)

1 Predator @ 120 pts (Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank); Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Autocannon; Lascannon (each side))

Heavy Support: Thunderfire Cannon (1#, 100 pts) (Techmarine Faitor)

1 Thunderfire Cannon @ 100 pts (Unit Type: Artillery; Thunderfire Cannon)

1 Techmarine Gunner (Unit Type: Infantry; Krak Grenades; Artificer Armour; Servo Harness; Bolt Pistol; Thunderfire Cannon; And They Shall Know No Fear; Blessing of the Omnissiah; Bolster Defenses; Combat Tactics; Independent Character)

1 Servo Harness

HQ: Space Marine Librarian (1#, 100 pts) (Codicier Raziel, The Repentant)

1 Space Marine Librarian @ 100 pts (Unit Type: Infantry; ...in Power Armour; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Tactics; Independent Character; Psyker; Null Zone; The Gate of Infinity)

1 ...in Power Armour (Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Psychic Hood; Bolt Pistol; Force Weapon)


Total Roster Cost: 2100


Created with Army Builder® - Try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com


BATTLE REPORT

BLACK TEMPLARS VS. ANGELS OF PERDITION

First, I want to say that the mission(s) that they ran at Jaks were odd, but fun. Instead of home built odd missions, which can sometimes yield lopsided games favoring one opponent or the other, the missions were basic, but challenging. There were six objectives and you choose six enemy units. Those six objective yielded 1 Battle Point and the enemy units yielded one Battle Point. That was it. The units and the objectives were picked/placed after deployment.

My first opponent had (from memory):

Emperor's Chamption

4xCrusader squads w/10 Marines, 10/Neophytes,

2xCrusader squads w/5 marines, lascannon (One razorback with twin lascannons)

Dreadnought w/Assault Cannonx2,

Venerable Dread w/Assualt Cannon, Missile Launcher, Tank Hunter (I love this unit)

Vindicatorx1

Deployment

The first game had a twelve inch deployment. I lost the initiative roll and my opponent chose to place first and go first. A unit of 5 crusaders with lascannons were placed in cover on both sides of his corners in terrain. On my first a Venerable Dreadnought was also deployed with the marines. Moving left from that position he had 3 of the crusader squads of 20, a dreadnought in the center the vindicator on the center right, and another dreadnought on the left in cover with the 5 man crusader squad. The last large crusader squad was deployed on the left between terrain and the edge of the board.

I imidiately decided that I was going to try and refuse flank my opponent. His army was largely foot, and there was no world that I wanted to be in where I had to deal with 80 screaming fanatics in hand to hand combat. I deployed Techmarine Faitor into terrain on the bottom right hand side of my table, combat squaded both marine squads Maltheas and Josiah put the heavy weapons with him. To the right of that piece of ruins I placed my terminators squad First, and a Rhino with Sergeant Maltheas and Cidicier Raziel in it. To the left of the terrain I placed both dreadnoughts Exetur and Hamiel behind terrain and a Predator Nefarium and a Rhino with squad Josiah. Predator Exeat was the only model to deploy on my left flank at all. Having fought marine armor enough, placing all my guns in one area meant that I would be fighting front armor all game, I hoped that my frontal 13 would save me and that I could open my opponent up to some side shots. I placed LS 01 into reserves, LS 02 into Deepstrike and Landspeeder Storm Morveng and the scouts into Outflank.

I nominated his 5 man las cannon squad (on the right), Venerable Dreadnought, on of the Crusader squads, the Veinicator, the Rhino and the Dreadnought in the center as my 'Kill points. I placed two objectives near my deployment, and one directly across, to the right of the 5 man squad and venerable dreadnought I wanted to kill. My strategy was easy, move forward, kill his right flank, and then move left if need be.

I didn't particularly care to seize the initiative, and didn't.

First Turn (Black Templars)

Crusade squads move forward on all flanks, as does the vindicator on the left trying to get a shot on Predator Exeat but is out of range, along with the Razorback with the twin las-cannons. The vindicator is out of range, but a lascannon does stun my predator on that flank. His venerable dreadnought does manage to immoblise Sergeant Josiah's rhino.

First Turn (Angels of Perdition)

I moved forward lightly with my terminators. Sergeant Maltheas zoomed forward 12 inches to get in front of them, heading toward his objective on the other side of the table. Brother Dreadnoughts Exetur and Hamiel come from behind cover. Grand Master Gabriel Martel calls down an orbital strike on the massed crusaders but deviation amounts to simply three kills. Terminators fire killing some more, and the thundervire uses it's tremor round to slow down the two large crusader squads that are starting to close with my firebase. Preadtor Nefarium blows the missile launcher off the venerable dreadnought. I try and fix my Rhino for Squad Josiah and fail.

Second Turn (Black Templars)

My opponent moves forward with his crusaders on my fire base, but is not in range to assault this turn, he runs them. His venerable dreadnought backs up out of LOS of most of my firebase, and his vindicator moves closer to Predator Exetur. One of his crusader squads on his left side get on one of his deployed objectives and sit on it, they don't do anything else all game. The remaining fire support (all bolters and a heavy bolter) crusader squad moves toward another of his objectives in the center. His Razorback and Dreadnought advance. The vindicator hits, but only stuns Predator Exeat again, all other fire against it is useless, it's cerimite armor holding. On my left the shooting does nothing.

Second Turn (Angels of Perdition)

I start rolling for reserves, both landspeeders and my storm come in. The storm comes in on the right flank. I zoom LS 01 in to shoot the vindicator, and LS 02 deepstrikes in the midfield to shoot at either the dreadnought or the razorback. I move the terminators up to assault the crusade squad and attached Librarian Raziel and Grand Master Martel to the squad thinking 40 powerfists is nothing to sneeze at. Landspeeder Morveng with his squad fly in and deploy directly behind his Venerable dreadnought. LS 01 misses the vindicator with it's multi-melta. LS-02 destroyes the dreadnought with his multi-melta. Sergeant Morveng manages to hit with his melta-gun but only succeeds in blowing off the assault cannon. Sergeant Maltheas drives forward and fires smoke to try and get the objective. I fire the Thunderfire cannon at the rear cruader squad of the 2 my terminators are facing down, hoping to have them run forward to execute a double assault, they take some casualties. My terminators are 2 inches away from the other squad and I decide that I would rather fire at them, so I do. During the morale phase, the squad the terminators fired at break, running 8 inches away, the other squad runs forward. I realize I've just made a massive blunder. During assault I'm so flustered by the failed terminators assault (I can't assault the squad I shot at as they ran away, and thus can't execute my double assault) that I forget to assault the venerable dreadnought with Sergeant Morveng and his scouts. I attempt to fix Sergeant Josiah's ride and fail,

Third Turn (Black Templars)

Capitalizing on my mistake my opponent moves forward with both squads on my terminators. The dreadnought turns to face the scouts and the 5 man crusader squad comes out of the terrain to shoot and assault the scouts. His crusader squad in the center gets on the objective in the center of the table. His Razorback shoots at LS-02 and obliterates it from the earth. Shooting at LS-01 only shake it, and Predator Exeat is stunned again. His crusaders fire at my terminators and manage to kill 4 with bolt positols and two meltaguns. My scouts are assaulted, but manage to win combat by 1, killing two as Sergeant Morveng lays into the opponents with his powerfist. The two crusader squads assault my terminators and the Emperor's Champion calls out Codicier Raziel, beheading the young librarian before he ran raise his sword in defense. The squad is picked up except for Grand Master Martel, who stubbornly refuses to give ground to the thirty opponents. The fight is happening directly in front of the Angels of Perdition firebase.

Third Turn (Angels of Perdition)

Both dreadnoughts move to the fight to assault the crusade squads. LS-01 zooms behind cover. Squad Josiah exit the vehicle and move toward the center objective being held by the opposing crusder squad…. On reflection we should acknowledge the courage of Sergeant Josiah at the time. Sergeant Maltheas drives forward in the rhino and claims the objective directly across from my deployment. My shooting destroys the Razorback in the center, and destroys the vindicator cannon, and shakes the vehicle. The thunderfire cannon kills some of his crusader squad in the center, which forces them to run off the objective. The dreadnoughts assault the crusaders and win combat, killing several more, and the Emperor's Champion calls out Chapter Master Martel, but both pass their invulnerable saves. Veteran Sergeant Morveng lays into the crusaders, wiping out the rest of the squad, leaving him in hand to hand with just the venerable dreadnought. He loses two more squad members. I try and fix Josiah's Immobilization….. and Succeed!

Fourth Turn (Black Templars)

His dreadnought on the left side exits terrain and starts making it's way toward the predator/LS-01. His Crusader squad in the center moves back and occupies the objective again. His fire finally destroys Predator Exeat, shattering it's parts to the world. He shoots at Squad Josiah with his firesupport squad Crusader squad and kills 2 of them, and they pass their morale check. In hand to hand, the dreadnoughts kill two more of the marines and Gabriel Martel dies as the weight of the black templars drives pass his forcefield. Sergeant Morveng succeeds in hurting the venerable dreadnought, but it withstands his attacks.

Fourth Turn (Angels of Perdition)

I move Squad Josiah back and reboard their Rhino, and zoom forward 12 towards the center objective. LS-01 drives forward for another shot on the vindicator. In hand to Hand dreadnought Hamiel is obliterated by a powerfist from one of the Crusader squads. Squad Morveng Storm flies forward toward the center objective. Fire does nothing significant, except kill more of the crusaders on the objective in the center, a drop in the bucket when you have twenty of them. Morveng finally get's a grab on the venerable dreadnought power cable, obliterating it in a shower of fragments. Only he and one raw recruit have lived through the onslaught.

Fifth Turn (Black Templars)

The Black Templar vindicator moves to block Squad Josiah from the objective, parking directly in front of it. Shooting from the Black Templars has no effect this turn except to stun LS-01. Hand to Hand against Brother Dreadnought Exetur destroys his powerfist from a krak grenade marine.

Fifth Turn (Angels of Perdition)

Sergeant Josiah drives next to the predator, as does LS-01. Landspeeder Storm Morveng flames the Crusader squad on the objective, killing several, shooting immobilizes the vindiactor, but cannot seem to kill it this turn. Hand to hand against Brother Exetur does nothing.

Game Ends on the a roll of a 2.

My opponent scored 5 total points for holding two of his objectives on his side of the board and killing three of his 'kill point' units. I killed 4 kill point units and held two objectives.


In the end the largest misake is the terrible decision to shoot the Crusaders instead of simply assaulting with my terminators. Had I assaulted I feel the combat would have been decisively the different direction, enabling to at least hold 1 more objective on my side, and killing another one of my target units for kill points. I got greedy is what happened. Sometimes assaults are so important, that failure to do them can cost you the game, and while that was something I new, it was something worth re-learning. It ended in a effective tie, and a hard fought one at that. My hat is off to my opponent for running a fun, well made black templar army and giving me a great game!

If you enjoyed this (or hated it) leave a comment with thoughts on how I can improve my battle reports. I hope to have some video ones soon.


Tomorrow, Mech-Blood Angels



4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this. I think you do the Battle Reports well. The only things that would make it any better would be to add visuals like pics r the video you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment!

    I hope to take some more pictures from now on, and hopefully a video blog soon. Sadly I didn't get any pictures from the tournament, but I should have a game against Orks this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tough luck man you still made it a tight game....showing that you are getting there with your marines ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually won the game in total (6-5 points) but it was such a narrow win... let's just call that a tie!

    ReplyDelete