Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Tutorial - Fixing Fogging for Fools 3

The things NOT to do.

Yesterday I covered not going over again with the Games Workshop Purity seal, this is not a helpful hint.

I also tried to coat it with a paint on varnish from GW, the 'ardcoat. No effect at all.

So I went to the local craft store and bought the following two products.

Testors Dullcoat

and

Testors Gloss Coat

Now, thankfully the cardboard that I sprayed my models on had also 'fogged' so I tested the effects on these, which I advise you to do as well. If not you just end up with a caked models as you move through the test process. Even if you decide to go forward with one of the methods that I have advised, then still test it on something else!

So I tested the two, and found that both worked, to different degrees. I thought from my view that the Dullcoat worked better. Now, when I say "worked" I don't mean that the fog magically went away, I mean that it seemed to knock it back down, bringing out the original color on the models. Let's say there was 50% less fog. Instead of a white fog all over the plate it dialed it back and there was simply a light amount on it now. All in all, I consider this a success.

The next thing to test was the effects of light washes on the models. Was there a way to use a light wash to knock the color back to it's original type? That next on Fixing Fogging for Fools 4 and the last update on this issue.

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain.

    GW's "Purity Seal" ruined my mighty empires tiles which I then had to repaint.

    The worst part was when I called GW to tell them about it the rep on the phone was rude and essentially told me that it was my fault and that I had used the product incorrectly.

    I've only been painting minis for over 20 years and NEVER had this problem before. Riiiight bub, whatever.

    Needless to say since then I have not purchased any more cans of GW purity seal (and never will).

    More recently I've stopped buying GW minis or paints b/c I'm finding better things through other companies lines and ranges.

    Good luck on your quest to fix your mini. I'll be reading the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Harun, I think I have definitely made it better. I will try to get some photo's up in the last update.

    ReplyDelete