Monday, June 7, 2010

Tutorial - Fixing Fogging For Fools 1

I live in the deep south. This week I felt like I was going from a sub-tropical environment to a tropical, it has rained (this means it fucking stormed to people on the west coast) every day for around an hour.

Yesterday I returned and finally put the finishing touches including weathering and final stuff i needed on two Predators and a Rhino. I then pulled out my trusty Games Workshop Purity Seal to make sure that they didn't get damaged, walked out side (because the wife will not let me spray inside) and hit them with it.

If you have done this before, you should realize what is coming next.

I walked back inside to find that various parts of my models (especially the black) portions were covered with a thin "fog" that clouded the paint on them. About a month of work down the tube.

Now, I am not giving up, and desperately won't to fix it, so for anyone else having this problem, I will be going through all of the steps that I try to fix my models. I have cruised a ton of forums on how this may or may not be done, and I feel like I'm swimming through a world of half truths and myths. I will find a way, or not.

At least you as the reader, if (when) you have this problem happen to you will know how to combat it.

However, first, let's talk about how NOT to do this.

First, don't use Armory Primer or Spray. I did for awhile, and in my opinion, they all suck. They can do worse then fog, they can actually give your models this horribal rough coat that ruins the model itself (unless you strip it).

I have been using Games Workshop Purity Seal and this is the first problem I have had with them. I would like to shake my finger at them and claim that it was all their fault, but I don't think it is.

(1) Do NOT put a varnish on when it was humid, no matter how excited you are.

(2) Shake the can. Shake it some more. Do a dance with it. Shake the can for two (2) minutes

(3) Spray a test something or other to make sure it will not fog on you. Wait 10 minute to make sure.

These things will help make sure you are not in the same position that I am in.

Sadly, if you found this article on the internet... it's too late for that, isn't it!

I will post my steps to fixing this tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment