Thursday, June 10, 2010

Tutorial - Fixing Fogging For Fools 4

First, let's take a look at one of my normal Rhinos (i.e. not fogged up). I apologize for the poor photos on this, I plan on setting up something to take better photography once I get into my home.

Now then, this next photo is of one of my Predators that I 'fogged'. I make that sound like I did it on purpose, did I not. At this stage I have done nothing to it. The photo below that is a blown up image of the same vehicle from the front.



As you can see from the photos, everything has been effected. The mist has ruined the metal sections, fogged the beige and also the dark grey on the model. I think everyone can assume I was heartbroken. Damn Mississippi summers with it's constant rain. I think I live in the tropics sometimes.

Now, this next photo is after a coat of Tester's Dullcoat. When I used the effect, I remember thinking that it helped, but honestly, it simply was not enough. I still think it knocked down the effect slightly, so that is not a bad strategy to use on models where the fogging has been slight.

Here you go:



Last night I was finally able to take a hard look at the model and realized it was just not acceptable. The last method I used was probably the most effective. It's called make a watered down base color and fix the stupid problem.

I mixed my base dark with water down quite a bit until it was the consistency of a wash an colored it onto the large areas of the models, leaving the edges unfixed. The fogging actually just highlighted the model some. A lighter washing could be used to knock these back if necessary.

The other problem I noticed was that the metal bits on the model were not only NOT shiny (which happens anytime you use a dullcoat/nongloss sealant) but that they had turned from a grey to a white. So I went back over all of the metal bits with some base color to make it pop a bit more. Lastly the areas of the models I had weathered had discolored. The dirt and grime now looked poor, so I added another layer of weathering (I'll talk through how I do weathering in another article, not a problem for today).

This was the final effect. Not quite perfect to be honest, but much better then repainting the entire model. Luckily for me I wanted this army to be heavily weathered so the rough look worked well with the model itself.


Tomorrow I will put up photo's of my next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment